Saturday, October 11, 2008

A room with a brew

Good evening. I was thinking I might try and assuage these non-specific, generic feelings underachievement by writing a blog for you.

I am staying in this Saturday night doing such satisfying tasks as hoovering. The satisfaction of the flawless floor is not to be sneezed at. This is not some sort of anti rock and roll, stay at home, protest. I felt a bit like going out this evening but Glasgow is horribly full of bouncing drunken football fans today and is best avoided.


Yesterday I was asked by my musical friend Victoria Bergsman to recommend her something to read which inadvertently triggered the old website-guilt. I’m sorry we’ve been a bit slack at updates but I promise that we will sort it out before the new album emerges. In case anyone is interested in what I came up with, and as some lame attempt at rectifying my bookish silence, I will list what I sent her at the end of this transmission. Before you go fumbling around for pens and paper, you could go and listen to the late-summer reggae sounds drifting from here myspace.com/takenbytreesmusic.

Cultural summary and Current Affairs: I have been watching the tv version of Brideshead Revisited and not finding time to go to the cinema to see the reportedly average film. I have been listening to Chariot Song by the Beep Seals. I read On Chesil Beach and it was sad. I was disappointed with the Guardian’s guide to the Piano and Keyboard which wasn’t very exciting at all. I did go and see I’ve Loved You So Long which was pretty beautiful. I have been listening to Richard Hawley’s recording of I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry made with Jools Holland. I have been remembering how much I enjoyed the documentary Young at Heart. I have been making walnut pesto.

We’re off on tour again next week. I think I am looking forward to it although I am nervous about playing a gig as close to my Kentish home-turf as I’m ever going to get. If you live in or near Canterbury, please come to the concert so my parents don’t think I’m unpopular. We’re all quite edgily excited about our first trip to Asia although we’re frightened of the humidity. There will be sweat.

We’ll have some news about the new album SOON I think. Be patient.

Take care
Carey xx




Maurice by E.M Forster
The Bandini Quartet by John Fante
Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
And pretty much anything by Carson McCullers.

18 Comments:

Blogger L. Soveral Botelho said...

Já li o "Na praia de Chesil" e, embora considerando-o triste (aí concordo), acho-o magnífico!
Aproveito para referir que aguardo, com impaciência, a saída do vosso novo disco.
No caso, mais que provável, de não compreenderem o que deixo escrito tentem encontrar um falante de português. Afinal é apenas a 5ª língua mais falada no mundo.
Até à vista!

12:20 pm  
Blogger Spike said...

Coincidentally, I watched the tv series of Brideshead Revisited for the first time last week, after reading the book. The trailer for the film bears no resemblence to either.

Haven't been back to check on Taken By Trees since I got Open Field - ta for the reminder.

Good luck on the tour. Very excited about it (and the prospect of a new album)!

1:52 pm  
Blogger Aldo Vidal said...

Espero que algun día visiten Chile.
Miles de besos.
Hugs.

5:02 pm  
Blogger Quillasophink said...

Looking forward to your concert in Singapore soon! See you guys at the Esplanade =)

1:02 pm  
Blogger Uriel Nicolás said...

please... i try again!

came to argentina!!
ARGENTINA!!!
some people are waiting por CAMERA OSBCURA in argentina!!

i love tracyanne

kisses

6:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're friends with Victoria Bergsman? I loved the Concretes - it's not the same without her beautiful singing.

10:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to see your performance at Taipei.Taiwan.It is amazing!!You gave all of us an unforettable night!I'm looking forward to your new album :)

3:04 pm  
Blogger Shieldwulf said...

Thanks for performing in Singapore @ The Esplanade on Wednesday evening, 29th October. It was a dream for myself (and my friend) to see your band perform live, on our little island nation. We thoroughly enjoyed your performance, and everyone of your team did a great job that evening.

http://shieldwulf.blogspot.com/2008/10/camera-obscura-live-esplanade.html

9:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm here just to make sure that you guys just find a way of coming to BRAZIL, a quick tour, rio de janeiro, são paulo, c'est fini. I mean, not that there's anything wrong with Kuala Lumpur or Taipei (I'd love to go to those places), but I guess your fanbase in brazil is at the very least consistent, and I think I wouldn't be too far off in poiting that it may be bigger (and lovelier, this is south america after all) than the one from said asian places.

Since I'm here, I'll just help with a rambling translation of the comment by "l. soveral botelho", written in portuguese (Portugal's one, for that matter). In his opinion the book considered is sad and magnificent. He also eagerly awaits your next album (so do I). Furthermore he asks for you to find a portuguese speaking person in order to understand his message (I guess that was me), a task that is not really hard since it's the 5th most talked language worldwide.

Encore: Brazil is really waiting for you.

Guilherme Semionato, from Rio.

4:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you so much for coming to Singapore! please do come again...your music was lovely :) really enjoyed the new songs too, "you told a lie" nearly broke my heart.

8:56 am  
Blogger -chrysalic- said...

hi Carey, i was the gifted one who got your setlist in Singapore *thanks to Tracyanne* :)
great performance, love 'French Navy' and 'You Told A Lie'. good luck with your new album!

2:56 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi, i m from singapore, just dropping by to say it was really an excellence performance you guys performed in the Esplanade Theatre, despite the fact that we were a bunch of very shy audiences :)

attached is a link for the photos we took during the autograph session (we were the last in the queue)!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wowstressy/2985061576/in/set-72157608486775659/

i hoped you guys have a nice time in singapore too!
cheers!

6:41 am  
Blogger Aldo Vidal said...

Much people love Camera Obscura in Chile.
We are waiting for yours.

6:48 pm  
Blogger 農夫 said...

ya, the show in singapore esplanade concert hall was great!
thank you camera obscura for the wonderful night!!

10:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we hope you didn't find singapore humid & hot!

4:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you been working in Stereo?

9:41 pm  
Blogger Amanda said...

I trust you'll stop by Sweden when you go on tour the next time, maybe sometime after the new albums is out? Much love!

12:55 am  
Blogger Martyn said...

Hi

Any news on the when the new album is due to be released?!

I've been to see you twice this year and you were fantastic on wach occassion!

Thanks

2:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home